Throw away everything you think you know about patriarchal polygamy and monogamous gender binary scripts, and listen to Blaire Ostler’s mind-blowing theories on Queer Polygamy! Don’t worry, she defines all the poly and amorous words for you, as we talk about deconstructing the traditional beliefs and fears we have about love, deepening and expanding relationships, and exploring our authentic selves. Blaire’s theories are full of love, hope, depth, and ethical understanding. As always, if you’d prefer to watch this video instead of just listen, head over to Mormon Happy Hour on Patreon!
This week Colleen brings 3 guests on to discuss several hot topics in Mormonism. First up, Blaire Ostler, a queer Mormon woman, takes on the Exclusion Policy addition to both the Missionary and Seminary manuals. Second, Marie Kent from My Book of Mormon Podcast hashes out Utah Prop 2, the legalization of medical marijuana. And lastly, New Name Noah Mike Norton gives us an update on what we should be calling the church formerly known as The Mormons. Don’t miss Mike’s upcoming plans for Sam Young’s pending excommunication for asking the LDS Church to stop asking children sexually explicit questions. But those can only be found with all the other full-length videos on our Patreon page!
Links mentioned in this episode:
- SLTrib: Gay policy added to missionary manual
- Wheats and Tares: For seminary students, Exclusion Policy is model of modern revelation
- Bleeding Cool: Ryan Ottley snuck Ex-Mormon reference into Spiderman 4
- The full account of CES Letter author Jeremy Runnell’s Disciplinary Court and Resignation
- Ballotpedia: Utah Proposition 2, the Medical Marijuana Initiative
- KUTV: LDS Church emails Utah Members letter opposing medical marijuana ballot initiative
- VIDEO: Gordon B Hinckley “We do not tell the members how to vote.”
- Cartoon: Medical Marijuana Herbal Supplement with Multi-Level Marketing Potential
- Link to ALL VIGILS in support of Sam Young on Sept 9th, 2018
Don’t miss an exciting invitation during the upcoming Salt Lake Sunstone Summer Symposium! This week, Colleen keeps you up to date on how Mormonism connects with the recent crisis of separated children at the US border. She welcomes Blaire Ostler, a bisexual active Mormon wife and mother who shares with us her reactions to Dan Reynolds and his recent interviews with Ellen, Trevor Noah, and his documentary Believer. She discusses allyship, the intricacies involved, and what she hopes for the future. Blaire is an absolute delight! Don’t miss Mason Proxy, a blogger who has created Mormon Astrological Signs that are hilarious and uniquely Mormon! Videos of these guests are available on Patreon.
Links mentioned in this episode:
- My Book of Mormon Episode: D&C 132, the POLYGAMY Prophecy with Mormon Happy Hour as guests
- Reason: Enforcing the Law Doesn’t Justify Separating Migrant Children from their Parents
- Washington Post: Sessions cites Bible passage used to defend slavery in defense of separating immigrant families.
- VOX: Jeff sessions could be expelled from the Methodist Church over migrant policies
- Mormon Women for Ethical Government Statement RE: Separating Migrant Children From Parents
- SLTrib OpEd: The LDS Church’s silence on Trump’s family separation policy is deafening
- Mormon Newsroom Statement RE: Separating Migrant Children from Parents
- Washington Post: Trump reverses Course, Says he will put an end to family separations on southern border
- Dan Reynolds Interview on Ellen
- Dan Reynolds Interview with Trevor Noah
- Deseret News OpEd: Responding to Ellen on Mormons and teen suicide
- Mormon Transhumanist Association: Blaire Ostler
- Blaire Ostler dotcom
- The Mormon Zodiac
- Music by bensound.com and by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0